The first Kip McGrath Education Centre opened its doors in Newcastle, NSW, 40 years ago with the founding principle that "any child can learn if they are taught properly". Founded by school tutors Kip and Dug McGrath, that first tutoring centre has grown since then into a global franchise network of over 500 tutoring centres owned and operated by qualified and experienced tutors, with a common motivation – a passion for teaching.
- We know that unresolved gaps in foundational learning can have lifelong impacts on your child.
- We believe in building confidence, self-esteem and providing results for your child.
- We believe that all children can succeed if given the right support.
- We think learning can be fun!
At KMEC, we aim to complement the work being done in schools so that students can find success there too. There is a definite need and our centres help to fulfil that need. – Founder, Kip McGrath
Kip McGrath Today
The South African head office in Amanzimtoti co-ordinates the administration of over 60 Kip McGrath Centres around the country. This family of franchisees shares a passion to help children achieve their full potential. Offering tutoring to children from pre-school through to Grade 12 in reading, spelling, comprehension, English, Afrikaans and Maths, our tutoring centres can be found in both metropolitan and regional locations. Find your closest centre using our centre locator.
While the primary focus is to improve or extend a child's learning outcomes, the real value in attending a Kip McGrath Education Centre is the tutors at each centre. For our tutors, teaching is not a job, it is a vocation. Nothing inspires a Kip teacher more than a smile from a child who finally "gets it"! Watching a child suddenly start to enjoy learning and developing confidence in their abilities, naturally translates into better results at school.
Kip McGrath Education Centres deliver a curriculum that has proven itself. Each child is assessed and a programme is written for that child based on their individual needs. So if you are looking for an experience that will improve your child's confidence, encourage them to enjoy learning and help them improve or extend their literacy and numeracy, contact your local Kip McGrath Education Centre today.
About Our Lessons
- 80-minute tutoring sessions designed for a child to cope with concentration problems
- 10-minute tasks are broken up, by rotation, so concentration is renewed after each task
- Small groups of up to 6 students per teacher (there is no group teaching)
- The programme is individualised for your child
- We focus on, and address, your child's weaknesses
- We have structured learning programmes
- English and Afrikaans are broken up into reading, grammar, comprehension, spelling, creative writing and phonemic awareness
- Maths is broken up into tables and bonds, problem-solving and Maths concepts
- Our programmes are suitable for all students, ranging from those experiencing difficulties in their day-to-day school work, right through to students who would like to extend their learning ability and achieve improved results
- Computer-assisted learning, where two out of six tasks are done on a computer to enhance the audio aspect of reading
- The curriculum is written by qualified tutors
- Aligned to the national curriculum (following CAPS and IEB)
The Kip McGrath Difference
- Individual learning programmes cater to your child's needs. Each session includes written and computer-based activities, plus ongoing progress reports and regular tutor feedback
- A FREE assessment is a no-obligation educational evaluation, conducted by a qualified teacher. Based on the results, a tailored programme is created to address your child's learning
- Qualified teachers, using proven methods and techniques, bring out the best in your child from Grade R to Grade 12 level. Trust the experts to bring the fun back into learning
- With a 40-year history and an international reputation, Kip McGrath knows what works. Boost your child's success, confidence and self-esteem in Maths and English today
All children are given a FREE initial assessment to identify areas where learning needs to be concentrated. An individual learning programme is then tailored for your child based on the assessment results. While all centres provide extra lessons for Maths, Afrikaans and English, not all centres offer all modules or additional subjects, so please confirm with your local Kip McGrath centre.